Is it ok for a pregnant mother to smoke marijuana

Patient

Q: Is it ok for a pregnant mother to smoke marijuana during her entire pregnancy?

Doctor

Marijuana acts on the central nervous system of the mother and can cause damage to the growing fetus.The brain development may be affected and the baby can have neurological deficits. It can cause growth retardation and low birth weight of the baby. It can also lead to malformation of other vital organs too. This is more common if the use is during early pregnancy, affecting the neural tube growth during the period of organomegaly.
Hope this helped.