Is it ok for children to be around a person with shingles?

Patient

Q: My mom has a mild case of shingles. We live 16 hours away. She is scheduled to arrive for a visit tomorrow. She is on antibiotics. Is it ok for my children to be around her (ages9,7,4,2)? They have all had the chickenpox vaccine. Thank you!!

Doctor

A:   Shingles is infective during the acute phase. Patients are instructed to avoid contact with elderly people, people who are immunocompromised, pregnant women, or people with no history of chickenpox infection. Since your all your children have been immunized, it is ok for them to be around their grandmother.