Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it ok for children to be around a person with shingles?

Is it ok for children to be around a person with shingles?

Patient: My mom has a mild case of shingles. We live 16 hours away. She is scheduled to arrive for a visit tomorrow. She is on antibiotics. Is it ok for my children to be around her (ages9,7,4,2)? They have all had the chickenpox vaccine. Thank you!!

Doctor: Shingles is infective during the acute phase. Patients are instructed to avoid contact with elderly people, people who a re immunocompromised, pregnant women, or people with no history of chickenpox infection. Since your all your children have been immunized, it is ok for them to be around their grandmother.