Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it ok to feed your baby store brand formula rather than expensive name brands?

Is it ok to feed your baby store brand formula rather than expensive name brands?

Patient: Is it ok to feed your baby store brand formula rather than expensive name brands? We do not have money problems, but why would I spend double on a name brand. I have done a lot of research and I can not see a significant difference. I plan on breastfeeding but I always like to have a backup plan. Please advise. Thank you

Doctor: I can relate to your concern.  All parents want to do what’s best for their child.As you may already know,  I just nee eed to clarify that there is nothing equivalent to breast milk and that breast milk is still considered to be the best choice for children.If that is not an option, formula is the next best alternative.  Fortunately, in the developed world, baby formula is very regulated and must meet strict guidelines. This means you can be assured that generic formula contains the same nutritional value as brand name formulas.I would not hesitate to select a generic formula over a brand name.