Is it Okay for a Guy to Finish Inside You While You're on the Pill?

Patient

Q: Hi. I started on the Marvelon birth control in January and for the most part have been pretty good with taking it on time (either 2 hours before or after scheduled 10:00AM time) though on some days i do forget to take it until the afternoon. I have not missed a full day before. I had just finished my period on March 13 and had intercourse without a condom on the 14, 15 and 17th. Only difference is he came inside me on the 17th. All STD risks aside, I am just wondering what my risk of pregnancy is? And is it ever okay for a guy to finish inside you while you're on the pill? Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Pills are contraceptives and meant to prevent pregnancy with about 99% efficiency when taken regularly without missing any dose. You are able to have sex anytime while on the pills without too much worry about becoming pregnant, but you should note that there is a possibility that the contraception may not work, however this failure rate is less than 1%.
When you are on the pill, you do not ovualte. The hormones in the pill trick your body into thinking it's already pregnant, so no eggs are released, but if you miss any pills, then you may ovulate, and you might get pregnant. So you should take your pills regularly, so that you are equally protected at any time of the month, including your week on the placebo pills, or your week with no pills.

Pills are contraceptives and meant to prevent pregnancy with about 99% efficiency when taken regularly without missing any dose. You are able to have sex anytime while on the pills without too much worry about becoming pregnant, but you should note that there is a possibility that the contraception may not work, however this failure rate is less than 1%.