Is it okay to do urine tests if I'm having my period?

Patient

Q: Can i get tested for a uti or bladder infection while i have my period?

Doctor

A:   There is no contraindication per se for urine tests to be done during menstruation. However, the problem will be on the false positive result (presence) of blood in urine due to contamination. The vagina and urethra (passageway of urine) lie close to each other; during urine collection in a woman having her period, it will be impossible for the urine not to get contaminated with menstrual blood. You can still see your doctor if you want so a physical exam can be done. It will be up to your doctor’s discretion to wait for a few more days to do tests or to start antibiotics right away based on your history and physical exam. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.