Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it okay to play volleyball while I am pregnant?

Is it okay to play volleyball while I am pregnant?

Patient: Hello my name is Melissa ,I have about 2 weeks pregnancy first time, and I play volleyball in sand I will like to know please if I can stay play, thank you in advance

Symptoms: non

Doctor: Thank you for your question. In the first trimester of pregnancy, which you are in, it may be possible to safely play vo lleyball, provided that you do so moderately, and avoid falling severely, or being hit in the abdomen. Extra precaution needs to be taken to protect your developing child and prevent miscarriage. However, as your pregnancy advances into the second and third trimester, we recommend that you refrain from engaging in high impact sports such as volleyball and exercise moderately by walking, swimming or using an elliptical trainer. If you have any high risk conditions such as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, or any other illnesses prior to getting pregnant, please consult your obstetrician before engaging in any physical activity while pregnant.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com

Guest: I have recently found out I’m 5wks4 days pregnant. I have been spotting on and off all week. Last note I bled quite a bit along with cramps. This morning I’m not bleeding as much just a bit when I wipe and a few spots(brown).I have done a clear blue test as well which indicates I’m still pregnant 2-3 wks. Please help I’ve had 2 recent miscarriages.