Is it possible for monogamous couples to get STDs?

Q: My name is Shoba, i want to know whether is it possible for a couple to get STDs when they do not have multiple sex partners? I mean like they only had have sex with each other,protected and unprotected and oral sex. Is it possible?? Hoping for your reply.Thank you doctor.

A:   Most STDs, if not all, have asymptomatic states. These asymptomatic states (aka dormant state) can persist for months, sometimes years. To answer your question, yes, it is possible for monogamous couples to have STDs. The possibilities are either one of them acquired the disease from previous relationships but is not manifesting symptoms and/or were not detected through tests, and transmitted it to the partner. The chances are small but it can still happen. If a couple is in a monogamous relationship and one is found to have an STD, the partner should have tests done too; in some STDs, (Chlamydia, gonorrhoea, Trichomonas, etc), if one partner is diagnosed with it, both should undergo treatment. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.