Is it Possible for my Boyfriend to have Chlamydia for 1 year without symptoms?

Patient: My boyfriend and I have been dating for 8 months now. We have not had sex, but he was recently diagnosed with chlamydia. Is it possible that he has no symptoms for a year?

Doctor: Chlamydia is the most commonly reported sexual transmitted disease in the United States, estimated at 4 million infectio ns annually, with rates higher than 10% in sexually active adolescent females. In a high percentage of cases there are no symptoms, and then those individuals (men 25%-50% and women 70%-80%) can have Chlamydia for a long period of time without knowing it.When you go to the doctor, he will order diagnostic tests that may include cultures or sending urine to the laboratory to determine if you are infected. The doctor may also test you for other sexually transmitted diseases because many patients with Chlamydia also have other infections such as gonorrhea or trichomonas.