Is it possible I am pregnant?

Patient

Q: I accidentally forgot to take my birth control pill one day recently after having unprotected sex with my boyfriend the night before. He had ejaculated in me multiple times. I also had missed a day of taking the pill the week before. Is it possible that I am pregnant?? My boyfriend and I have had unprotected sex many times since I started taking the pill about a month ago now. I have had a lot of spotting since I started the pill, mostly just light but some very heavy and lasting a few days. Have not used the morning after pill at all. The birth control pill I am currently taking is Aviane.

Symptoms:  Spotting (heavy to light), fatigue, acne breakouts
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
Birth control pills provide contraception up to 99% effectiveness if taken regularly at a particular time on each day starting not later than day 5 of the menstrual cycle till day 25 of the menstrual cycle. If ovulation has taken place around the time of unprotected sex and coincided with the missing of the pill then there can be chances of a conception. When birth control pills are started on initially for a few months some women experience spotting or intermittent bleeding. If you do not get your period even after 7 to 10 days past your expected date of menstrual cycle you opt for a home pregnancy test.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.