Is it Possible I have Diabetes if my family was recently Diagnosed?

Patient: I am a 19 yr old female, and I think I might have Diabetes. My grandmother and my Aunt both have been diagnosed. Recently I have had an increase in thirst, mostly for sugary sodas. I read that frequent bladder infections can be an indication. As of November, I have had three, and I’ve never had one since before I was 7 or 8. I first thought It might have to do with having sex with my boyfriend, but with the recent symptoms, I am beginning to think otherwise. So, Is there a significant chance that I might have diabetes, and might need to be tested?

Doctor: I can see that you are concerned about having Diabetes.  This is a common concern when loved ones are diagnosed with a d disease.Fortunately, Diabetes is easy to diagnose.  It is done by a fasting blood test which your doctor can order.  While nothing leads me to believe you have diabetes, it is a good idea to get tested for simple peace of mind and reassurance.It is also a good idea to learn about the things you can do in your life now to prevent you from getting diabetes (exercise, balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight).