Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it possible that my girlfriend is pregnant?

Is it possible that my girlfriend is pregnant?

Patient: So me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex on the 12th of this month. Just today the 16th she noticed a slight flow of blood, she thought it was her period, (it’s around that time of the month.) but soon after the bleeding stopped and she started feeling nauseous and light headed, and noticed little trickles of blood. Is there a chance she’s pregnant?

Symptoms: Nausea, possible spotting

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.If unprotected intercourse occurs during the period of ovulat ion there is possibility for pregnancy. According to your history you had unprotected intercourse during her premenstrual phase.In case of regular 28 to 30 days menstrual cycles, usually ovulation doesn’t occur in premenstrual phase.So, if she is having regular 28 to 30 days cycles, there is less possibility for pregnancy.If her cycles are irregular, it is difficult to tell the time of ovulation and possibility of pregnancy.The spotting she had could be due to local causes like abrasions, cervical erosion or premenstrual spotting due to hormonal imbalance etc.Nausea can be seen in conditions like pelvic infection, premenstrual phase etc.Now it is early to diagnose pregnancy.If she is in premenstrual phase, she will get periods.If nausea, lightheaded ness persists better to consult your doctor once and get evaluated.If she doesn’t get regular proper menstrual flow even three weeks after intercourse, better to go for urine pregnancy test once.Take care.