Is it possible to get ear piercings with keloid skin?

Patient

Q: I know this is not a serious matter but I really want to know. I was born with extra digits on my hands and feet and I got keloids as a result of the surgery to remove them. I want to know if its possible for me to get my ears pierced if the piercer were to inject me with corticosteroids beforehand. When I had surgery on my ear the surgeon did this in order to prevent keloids, is it the same thing with piercing?

Doctor

A:   Using corticosteroids while piercing your ears would reduce your chances of developing keloids, although not completely eliminating the possibility. Corticosteroids are only available via a prescription from your doctor and should only be administered by a trained medical professional.