Is it possible to have HSV 2 even though I

Patient: Is it possible to have HSV 2 even though I have only had 1 sexual partner (they are clean) and when I was last tested I only had HSV 1?

Symptoms: Feeling of raw skin followed by small puss filled bumps around head of penis that last for a week or two.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,Hsv 1 infection if one is a carrier for long then the strains may mutate and cross react and one can develop HSV 2 infection as well, but this is usually not seen . However if your partner is clean, and you have been diagnosed with HSV2 infection then the likely expiation remains that the HSV1 strains would have mutated and can cause genital herpes.Small pus filled lesions around head of penis with feeling of rawness is unlikely to be HSV2 infection but possibly chlamydial or staphylococcal infective sores which can cause pus filled bumps . You may get a urethral and glans swab culture o isolate the organisms and get a conclusive diagnosis.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: I have no discharge, fever, swollen lymph nodes, blood in my urine, or any other herpes symptoms. Just the puss filled bumps that hurt.

Doctor: The pus filled bumps are staph infection. Herpes have clear fluid filled vesicles and not pus. So it is likely that you have contracted a staphylococcal infection.

Patient: OK here’s a picture. I don’t think I’m adequately describing this.

Doctor: please get a swab culture done to establish the diagnosis.

Patient: But does that look like herpes?

Doctor: The confluent nature does give a picture of herpes with clear rounded lesions and localised without inflammation. It is better to get the swab culture done.