Is It really asthma?

Patient

Q: Good Afternoon, I am inquiring informating. I am confused only because I've been diagnosed with asthma but I don't wheeze so I am totally confused. I am 49 yrs old, and cough constantly. I can't leave the house without having these episodes. The coughing fits start when I leave the house and I smell perfume, tar, cologne, scents in stores, fragrances, grass, ect..... I've been to a to an allergist he tells me that I'm allergic to EVERYTHING that is Green outside which is not good...I've been to a pulmonary specialist that told me that I'm asthmatic, but the allergist doesn't agree???????????????? He tells me I just have allergies.... But I cant' breath when i start having these coughing fits,and I start coughing up clear phlem tighting in the chest and can't breath and only feel relief with the inhaler.

Doctor

A:   Asthma triggers are different from person to person. Exposure to a number of different allergens and irritants can trigger signs and symptoms of asthma. Coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath are the most common symptoms and of course if you are allergic like your signs and symptoms clearly show, your chances or having asthma or asthmatic symptoms increase.
Asthma is an overreaction of the bronchi surface to certain allergens, therefore it might be ok to say that is an allergic reaction of your bronchi in which inflammation of your upper airways occur. This condition can't be cured, but its symptoms can be controlled. Treatments include taking steps to avoid your particular asthma triggers, using long-term control medications to prevent flare-ups and using a quick-relief inhaler to control symptoms once they start. I wish you a prompt recovery.