Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it safe to dye hair during pregnancy?

Is it safe to dye hair during pregnancy?

Patient: Can i dye my hair now that im 15 weeks pregnant

Doctor: I would suggest postpone dying your hair. Hair dyes have chemicals; although these chemicals are only minimally absorbed through the skin, there are no enough studies to prove that it is DEFINITELY safe to use hair dyes in the first trimester of pregnancy (1st 3 months). Manufacturers also change the chemicals too often every now and then so it is harder to prove that hair dyes are indeed safe for use in pregnancy. The general recommendations are it is PROBABLY safe to use during pregnancy; if used, it is better to do it on the second trimester, or better yet, after birth. Personally, I suggest you do the latter. Stay away from ammonia-containing hair dyes because the fumes from ammonia can be harmful. Given these facts, it is now up to you on what you will or will not do next. I do hope this helps.