Is it safe to eat sushi when you are 32 weeks pregnant?

Patient

Q: I was wondering if it is safe for my pregnant wife to eat sushi while she is pregnant? I heard that raw fish is not good for the unborn baby?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is safe to eat sushi during pregnancy provided you consuming sushi from reputable establishment with the freshest of ingredients. This will prevent food poisoning. Furthermore, to prevent the possibility of heavy metal toxicity, we recommend that you do not consume seafood more than once or twice a week. Also, if you are not certain that you have any allergies to exotic seafood, we recommend that you wait until after your baby is born until you consume such sea food. If you have been ordered to follow any specific diet by your ob/gyn we recommend that you consult them first before trying any new foods to be certain they will be ok for you.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com