x
152 Physicians Online

Question:

Is it Safe to Take Antibiotics In a Patient With Heart Stent?

Is Zithromax or Amoxicillin safe to use with Heart stent patient ? I feel and have reason to believe i have oral, throat infection.

Answer:

Zithromax (Azithromycin) may cause a condition that affects the heart rhythm (QT prolongation). QT prolongation can infrequently result in serious (rarely fatal) fast/irregular heartbeat and other symptoms (such as severe dizziness, fainting) that need medical attention right away. The risk of QT prolongation may be increased if you have certain medical conditions or are taking other drugs that may affect the heart rhythm. Before using azithromycin or any other antibiotic I would encourage you to consult your doctor or pharmacist.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.