Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it Safe to take Birth Control pills and Spironolactone together?

Is it Safe to take Birth Control pills and Spironolactone together?

Patient: Is it unhealthy to be taking birth control and spironolactone at the same time?

Doctor: It will depend on the kind of birth control pills (combined estrogen and progesterone or progesterone only pill) and als o the dosages of both drugs. Drospirenone, which is one of the components of newer birth control pills, may increase the potassium-retaining effect of spironolactone. Too much potassium in the blood will cause nausea, vomiting, weakness, confusion, and heart rhythm irregularities. These rarely happen in perfectly healthy women w/ no kidney problems but one should always be aware of the possible side effects. Check with your doctor if the birth control pill you have and the dose of spironolactone you are taking (I presume) will not be risky if taken together. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.