Is it Safe to Take Miralax Daily?

Q: I have irritable bowel with constipation and also suffer from hemorrhoids. I have tried adding fiber to my diet, whole wheat bread, fiber cereals and to no avail. The only thing that has seemed to help is to take Miralax. If I don't take it daily, I get constipated again, which leads to more problems with my hemorrhoids. I was just wondering is it safe to take every day.

A:   I understand your concern about your laxative prescription. Miralax works by holding water in the stool to soften the stool and increases the number of bowel movements. It should be used to treat constipation in short term unless indicated by your physician. It is safe to take daily but usually it is not given continuously for more than two weeks.
I see that you are already increase fiber ingest in your diet as well as plenty of fluids , you can also exercise which would help with bowel movements, walking two hours after meals for thirty minutes should be fine. I wish you the best.