November 17, 2018

Is it too early for pregnancy symptoms?

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it too early for pregnancy symptoms?

Patient: I’ve been having severe nausea for the past 4 days, along with vomiting–but the vomiting only occurs at night, usually like clock-work around 11:00 pm. I’ve been having dull pain in my abdomen, have no appetite and have been feeling very fatigued. I’ve also had terrible headaches the past few nights. I thought it was the flu but I’m starting to wonder if it could be pregnancy. However, I’ve only recently become sexually active, so I’m not sure I’d be experiencing symptoms this early. I had intercourse, protected, exactly 3.5 weeks ago, and again 10 days ago where the condom broke. Is it possible that this is pregnancy?

Symptoms: Bloating, nausea, vomiting, headaches, fatigue, sore nipples, dizziness

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.As evident from your history that you have been sexually active during this cycle and have not been using hormonal contraception, also a history of condom rupture during sex 10 days back can possibly cause pregnancy during this cycle. These symptoms of nausea, headache, mood swings, bloating, fatigue, sore nipples and dizziness are a part of early pregnancy symptoms if pregnancy is detected. At this stage, pregnancy can be ruled out or confirmed with the blood serum beta hCG test which if found to be positive shall confirm pregnancy and the symptoms are then due to pregnancy.But if the test is negative then these symptoms can be attributed to be a part of premenstrual syndromic complex which may mimic early pregnancy symptoms in absence of pregnancy , but indicate that your menses are to ensue in next few days.So, please get a serum beta hCG test done sooner to allay anxiety associated with pregnancy issues.I hope I have answered your query in detail.Wishing you good health.Regards

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No