Is It True That The More You Sleep The More You Grow?

Patient

Q: I'm now 21 and have grown a little since I was 16. I am a busy person and currently handling lots of challenging jobs that require most of my time. I sleep only about 4 hours a day during February and March-- the peak seasons of my job. I've been too concerned about my height recently although I have an average height.

I was already a busy person since highschool. I am a night owl and usually sleeps at 11 pm and even 3 in the morning but I'd make it sure that I will have at least 7 hours of sleep. I usually catch up of my sleep during weekends.

My concern is: is sleep a big factor in terms of achieving your potential height? Some say that puberty stops at the age of 25. And health specialists suggest that adolescent undergoing puberty must have at least 8 hours of sleep. Does it mean that I have to give up some of my assignments in order for me to sleep more and therefore grow more? It's my career that I'm talking about here and I know that it is bringing me a lot of stress but it is also preparing me to achieve my dreams. I don't know why I was so concerned about my height recently.

The only thing I want to know is that: Is sleep a big factor in achieving your potential height? Or it is purely genetics. I want to grow more and surpass the height of my father. Currently, my father is taller of about 1 inch than me.

Doctor