Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is it true that you don’t get pregnant till

Is it true that you don’t get pregnant till

Patient: Is it true that you don’t get pregnant till about 2 weeks after your last period ? & is it possible to be pregnant before and still get period? If my first day of last period was November 18. Does that mean i got pregnsnt after that date ?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Pregnancy occurs due to intercourse around the time of ovula tion.In case of regular 28 to 30 days menstrual cycle, usually ovulation occurs in the middle of the cycle i.e. around two weeks after last menstrual period.So, in your case you might have conceived after November 18th.Rarely during pregnancy bleeding can be seen on expected date of periods as small gestational sac cannot completely obliterate the uterine cavity.Ultrasound helps in estimating the gestational age.Hope this helps.Take care.