x
181 Physicians Online

Question:

Is Metronidazole Treatment Effective For Gonorrhea?

"is VANDAZOLE (metronidazole vaginal gel, 0.75%) prescribed to treat gonorrhea?

Symptoms: " />

Answer:

Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease and is caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Gonorrhea is characterized by thick discharge from the penis or vagina. In addition to male reproductive organs & female genital tract, gonorrhea may infect the rectum, throat, eyes, blood, skin, & joints. Gonorrhea spreads through semen or vaginal fluids during unprotected sexual contact with an infected partner. Gonorrhea is tested by either a urine test or a swab test. Adults with gonorrhea are treated with antibiotics. Early treatment is simple & effective, & involves a single dose of antibiotics. In addition, the treatment of chlamydia is also advocated. To avoid re-infection, any sexual partners should be treated too. Unfortunately metronidazole is not effective for the treatment of gonorrhea and is used if you have bacterial vaginosis. I would advise that you see your doctor for a urine or swab test and appropriate antibiotics if positive.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA