Is my broken toe healing?

Q: I broke my left big toe about 2 weeks ago. I had extremely bad swelling and bruising and when I went to the hospital they made a small hole in my nail to release blood from under my nail. The cause of the injury was a 100 pound object being dropped on my foot mainly my big toe. I am now able to walk without much discomfort. I can bend the toe pretty well up and down. Bruising has drastically decreased and swelling has gone down a ton, almost back to normal. I notice when I am moving around a lot during the day that it seems to swell up. Is this normal because I'm gradually using my toe more? And how can I tell if I'm on the right track or what is a sign of me not healing? I have a soft shoe that I have been wearing and I'm in the military so staying off it completely is basically not an option. I waiting to go home and this is dealing that until I'm healed. I just really need some information on where I should be 2 weeks after the initial injury and what should be a red flag. Thank you.

Symptoms:  Slight bruising, toe fracture, swelling, random swelling with use.
Is my broken toe healing?-1 Is my broken toe healing?-2 Is my broken toe healing?-3

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Swelling after moving around a lot during the day is normal. As it heals swelling and redness will gradually reduce. Signs of non-healing are increased swelling and redness. It is likely to completely heal in 2 weeks after injury. If your x-ray show fracture then you may take nearly one month to heal. Red flag is fever and massive swelling. Looking at your pictures your condition is good healing well. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care