Is my girlfriend pregnant

Patient

Q: The day after her period I had protected sex with my girlfriend and as I took my condom off I accidentally got a little bit of sperm on my finger I then rinsed and patted it down but I continued fingering her, I gave her plan b the next day and now it's been about 3 weeks and her period was supposed to come 3 days ago is she pregnant ? Or is it the plan b ?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The sexual encounter that you described is very low risk for potentially causing pregnancy. Especially if washed your hands after coming into contact with semen, it is unlikely. Plan B is an emergency contraceptive medication that prevents the fertilization or implantation of a fertilized egg. It contains the hormonal analog Levonorgestrel, which after preventing pregnancy can have an effect on the normal monthly menstrual period. We recommend that she wait a few more days to see if she is still late. If this is the case, it would be best that she visit her doctor to be examined and determine the cause of her late menstrual period.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com