Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is my girlfriend pregnant?

Is my girlfriend pregnant?

Patient: I had sex with my girlfriend about 15 weeks ago, we used a condom but it broke and I immeditaley stopped and there was no ejaculation. 11 days later she got her period which was 6 days long. she took a pregancy test 5 days after her period and then another a week after that and they were both negative ( i am concerned that not enough pee was on them but she tried to pee on it as much as she could) she has had 4 periods in total since we had sex, but i have heard of people having bleeding during pregnacy and it can be mistaken for periods. She hasnt shown signs of moring sickness but says her mom never had those problems either, but she is haveing back pain and is tired a lot. Is there any chance she is pregnant? is there a way to better tell the difference between bleeding and a actual period? She has mentioned her period being orangeish or brown at the end of the cycle if that help. Thanks for you helpEDIT:The 4 total periods she has had have lasted the same amount of days as a normal period.

Symptoms: Bleeding but I dont know

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your question on “Askthedoctor.com” If your concern is primarily about pregnancy and you feel th at urine pregnancy tests are not convincing then you should opt for the lab based serum beta hcg test which estimates the levels of hcg. If the levels are more than 1 or raised, pregnancy is definitely confirmed. Else if the levels are less than 1, it completely rules out pregnancy. It is the most sensitive test and shall allay any form of doubt you carry regarding pregnancy.I hope I have answered your query in detail,wishing you safe sexual practices,regards

Patient: She doesnt believe she is pregnant so she thinks it is unreasonable to go to the doctor to get the test. Any insight on the likely hood based off the things above?

Doctor: I feel she is not pregnant and the symptoms are related more with the premenstrual syndrome itself which can mimic early pregnancy symptoms but in absence of the same.PMS indicate that menses are to ensue in next few days and it is suggested that she should wait for her menses to return.

Patient: thank you for your help.

Doctor: Thanks for using the service. 🙂