Is my mother an alcoholic?

Patient

Q: I am 13 years old living in Elmira, Texas and my mother drinks 1 glass of red wine everyday with dinner. My cousin the other day called her an alcoholic for doing this. Is it true? Is my mother an alcoholic?

Doctor

A:   You have nothing to worry about. Your mom is definitely not an alcoholic at all. Infact many doctors recommend drinking a glass of red wine with dinner as it is a anti-oxidant. Gordon, an alcoholic is someone who drinks for the purpose of "getting drunk." Some traits you will notice of alcoholics are: binge drinking, drinking multiple glasses of alcohol everyday, tries to hide the fact they are drinking, drinks alone. The way it sounds, your mom is not really doing many of these!