Is my placenta near my cervix ?

Q: Hello, I have a medical document that states my posterior placenta is behind my baby's head that is very low in my pelvis. It is below the lumbosacral prominence, 4.5cm from the sonographic internal os. Does this mean I have a low placenta ?

Placenta Previa is the term used to describe low lying placenta and may cause a variety of obstetric emergencies. The condition is quite serious and affects around 1 in 200 births.By definition, placenta previa is a placenta whose lower edge is at least within 2 cm of the internal opening of the cervix (internal os) or closer
In your case, as stated by you, the lower edge is 4.5 cm away from the internal os and hence although the placenta is quite close to the internal os it cannot be called a Placenta previa or a low lying placenta.
Moreover, if this scan finding is that of a second trimester (or earlier) ultrasound examination, you will be surprised to know that the placenta migrates upwards as the uterus and the baby grow. This placental migration goes on right up to term, which means that by the time the baby is ready to come out, there should is usually no hurdle on its way.
Please rest assured you do not have a low placenta. Nevertheless, take your obstetricians or midwife's opinion on this matter and get your doubts cleared once and for all.