September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is my shin fractured?

Is my shin fractured?

Patient: I got kicked in the shin while playing soccer 2 weeks ago. It bruised really badly and was swolen for a couple days. About a week ago we had another game and ingot kicked there again, it’s been swolen since and hearts to put pressure on it, it’s sort of numb but still hurts. I’ve iced it but that doesn’t do anything.

Symptoms: Swelling, bruising, numbness, pain

Is my shin fractured?-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The appearance of your injury is more consistent with a soft tissue contusion rather than f racture. What concerns us is that you have reinjured your shin for a second time. Had you fracture your shin, walking would be very difficult. We do recommend that you have this area examined by your doctor in order to rule out any severe soft tissue damage and bleeding beneath the surface of the wound. You may also need to be prescribed oral analgesic medication to treat this pain. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you