Is My Sons' Bleeding Nose Related To Fan in the Room

Patient

Q: Hello my son has frequent bloody noses and I am concerned that if they don't slow down they will get out of hand. I was wondering... my wife sleeps with my son often and she uses a large fan on med to high which is in turn blowing on both of them (about 5-6 ft away. Do you think the drying of the nasal cavatity or the frequency of these are contributed by the fan use at all? thnks

Doctor

A:   Bleeding from the nose has many causes. A dry nasal cavity is one such cause. Though this is the most likely reason for your son’s recurrent nose bleeds you should still have him examined by an ENT specialist to rule out potentially more serious causes.
While you wait for it to get reacessed and If you get a nosebleed, sit down and lean slightly forward. Keeping your head above your heart will slow the bleeding. Lean forward so the blood will drain out of your nose instead of down the back of your throat. If you lean back, you may swallow the blood. This can cause irritate your stomach. Use your thumb and index finger to squeeze together the soft portion of your nose. This area is located between the end of your nose and the hard, bony ridge that forms the bridge of your nose. Keep holding your nose until the bleeding stops. Don't let go for at least 5 minutes. If it's still bleeding, hold it again for another 5 to 10 minutes. Once the bleeding stops, don't do anything that may make it start again, such as bending over or blowing your nose.