Is Plan B necessary during a period?

Q: Hi, I was wondering if it would be necessary to take Plan B if I just started my period yesterday, and my boyfriend and I were having sex today and the condom broke and he ended up finishing inside of me. Will Plan B mess up my period? And would it be the necessary precaution? Or am I safe to wait and start taking my birth control again when my period stops, like I regularly do? I am regularly on birth control and let my body menstruate each month, and that is when this happened.

A:   I understand your concern about Plan B during menses. You don’t need to take it if you are in your menses, your ovum is not fertile anymore and taking plan b could certainly alter your hormonal balance.
Taking your regular contraceptive pills will be enough to take. I wish you the best.