Is running everyday bad for you?

Patient

Q: Is running everyday bad for you? im currently doing roughly 2-5 mile runs for the past 3 days, im aching a tiny bit not much though, iv been doing martial Arts for 3 years so im in good shape anyway, i weigh 9 stone, and was just wondering how many days should i run a week, id like to run a half marathon in october, and a full marathon in april 2012. Thanks Luke

Doctor

A:    If you have in mind to participate in 2 competitions, it is advisable to train every day to get an optimum preparation. Running is no bad for you if you do not surpass your own limits and capacities, meaning overdo training that it could produce overuse injuries If you do not have any severe symptoms currently, yes you can train but avoiding put overstress on the knees, it is very important before to do any exercise or straining physical activity to have an initial warm-up and stretching of the muscles, also when you start an exercise routine the demands have to be progressive and gradual, and the time and days that you dedicate to exercise must be consistent and regular to avoid injuries. There is a very well described entity in the medical literature called: Overuse Syndrome, which can affect any part of the body that is over stressed with movements or activities in a repetitive way, including occupational, recreational, and habitual activities. Repetition is part of the definition of overuse injury. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities.