Is the medifast diet safe in pregnancy?

Patient

Q: Dear doctors, I am 16 weeks pregnant and I am considering medifast diet which has been recommended to me by my friend. I want to know is the medifast diet safe in pregnancy?

Doctor

A:   Pregnant women are not advised to use the Medifast diet plan. During the diet process the body’s food take is controlled and manipulated to achieve the required weight loss process thus resulting in malnutrition. Malnutrition can disrupt the development of the baby inside the womb and may even lead to fatal complications. I would advise you not to undergo any diet program during pregnancy. You may try consuming more fibres and green vegetables and also try mild exercises as an alternative to the diet programs.