Is the radiation exposure from a CT scan safe?

Patient: I had a small amount (cells) of blood in my urine. My blood work was normal. My doctor has ordered a CT scan. Is there any reason why I could not have ultrasound instead? I am concerned about radiation.

Symptoms: none

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We are not certain as to why you were not prescribed to take an ultrasound, and what your past medical history is to warrant ordering a CT scan of your abdomen. Computed Tomography uses x ray radiation to provide diagnostic imaging of a specified area of the body. A CT scan of the abdomen/pelvis exposes the patient to about 10mSv of radiation and is considered a low risk exposure. Please consult your doctor as to what are the clinical indications for the CT scan are as we cannot ascertain this from your description.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com