Is there a link and/or cure for acne and irregular menstrual cycles?

Q: I've always had pretty clear skin but a very irregular menstrual cycle. I was to the point that my period was almost constant instead of just once a month so I went on birth control to try to regulate it. While I was on the pill the mild breakouts I normally had turned into acne. I stopped the birth control after 3 months and the acne hasn't gone away. I have only had one period in the 7 months I've been off the pill. Once my periods regulate will my acne leave? Is there a link? My dermatologist prescribed a tetracycline for my acne but it sounds like if I stop taking it my acne will just come back.

Symptoms:  acne
very infrequent to no menstrual cycle