Is there a medication that helps alcoholics stop drinking?

Patient

Q: Is there a medication that helps alcoholics stop drinking

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Alcohol is a very serious addiction, and there are number of methods that are used to overcome this. As far as medications to assist in overcoming alcohol addiction, the main medication that is prescribed is Disulfiram (Antabuse). The way disulfiram works by inhibiting an enzyme involved metabolizing alcohol. This results in a very unpleasant reaction to alcohol when it is ingested. This medication is used in conjunction with counselling therapy for the alcohol cessation.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com

Guest: is disulfiram give regularly or not & what is the side effect of disulfiram