Is there a way to tell if I can still have kids or not?

Patient

Q: Am I still Fertile? Okay, I am 22 years old. I had a surgery and had my left ovary removed when I was 16. The docs said I could still have kids.. when i had my surgery my cycles went from 7 days to 2/3 days. last year I had 3 kidney infections, I am wondering if this had an effect on my fertility or not. I know I am still ovulating because I feel it every month on the left or right side..
I have a good job my bf has a good job we have been together for a year and have been living with each other. we have been trying to get pregnant for the last 5 months and it has not worked. I know you probably judge saying I am too young, but we are both emotionally, mentally, physically, and financially ready to share our life and love with a beautiful baby. I'm not sure what is hindering it. Help??. :(

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Having one ovary is enough for you to become pregnant. The single ovary will be ovulating and can be fertilised to cause pregnancy. It is ok to not be pregnant for up to a year to be considered fertile.

If you are not pregnant after 1 year, please see an Infertility specialist. Hope this helps you. All the best.