Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is there something wrong with me?

Is there something wrong with me?

Patient: I recently received an answer to a question I asked. ‘I guess, loud noises are painful to most people’s ears. For me, Its quite pleasurable. Why?’The answer I received basically stated I had a higher noise tolerance. I get that, however, when I said it was pleasurable, I meant sexually. What would explain this?

Symptoms: Arousal, itchy ear

Doctor: Thank you for your clarification. Becoming sexually aroused from certain ‘non-conventional’ stimuli is referred to as a paraphilia. This is when a person becomes sexually aroused from atypical objections or sensory stimuli. This is not a mental illness, and provided you are not harming anyone including yourself, you should not be concerned by this. A person’s sexual arousal can be elicited in a myriad of ways, some of which do not fit typical conventions, however this is not abnormal by any means. Please take necessary precautions as mentioned before to prevent damage to your hearing.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com