Is there still a chance I can get pregnant while having sex near the start of my period?

Patient

Q: I am on birth control and am supposed to start taking the seven day pill tomorrow (the one that makes my period start). Today while having sex the condom broke is there still a chance I can get pregnant this close to my period?

Doctor

A:   I know your concern about this matter. In my opinion, it would be unlikely for you to become pregnant, if you have been taking your contraceptive pills and you are within 7 days from your menses due date, the chances of being fertile are decreased.  I wish you the best.