Is this a back issue or a stomach issue?

Patient

Q: For the past 3 or 4 days I've been getting severe lower back pain which is worse when I have been lying or sitting for a long while. it seems to ease a bit if I apply heat (hot water bottle) or after I've been to the toilet (for both bowel and bladder movements)
I also have slight stomach cramp and almost feel bloated but I am not sure if that is just the pain travelling from my back or whether it's and abdominal issue causing my back pain in the first place.

Symptoms:  Lower back pain, slight stomach ache and bloating, fatigue
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

This is really a very good question, very relevant as your back pain gets relieved a bit by passing of the bowel movement or urination also.
It is well known that healthy clearance of the bowels helps relieve the backache and used in principles in Ayurvedic treatment.
But your case seems to be primarily a backache problem.
I would advise you to consult an Orthopedic Surgeon for clinical evaluation, examination and investigations as necessary and to get a proper treatment.

I hope this answer helps you to get started on the correct line of management.