Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is this a cold sore? It started off as what

Is this a cold sore? It started off as what

Patient: Is this a cold sore? It started off as what looked like a small pimple then grew much larger and develop what looks like pale yellowish puss in it

Is this a cold sore? It sta...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com. I understand your concern.I have reviewed the image an d it does not look like a cold sore.This looks like a bacterial infection and the yellowish colour also indicates a bacterial infection rather than a viral.You need to confirm the diagnosis with your physician, who can also recommend a local antibiotic ointment like Mupirocin for relief. Mupirocin needs to be applied 2-3 times daily and slowly the swelling will subside. Please do not try and pop it, it will only worsen the infection. Before you apply Mupirocin, just wash the area with warm water using a cotton or soft cloth. This will help in quicker drainage of the pus thereby resolving the infection.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.