Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is this a miscarriage

Is this a miscarriage

Patient: I had sex 5 month ago and I haven’t had my period since but I never took a pregnancy test and last night this came out urine and then soon after i got a bad fever and was shivering is this a miscarriage

Symptoms: Fever. Cramps. Back pain

Is this a miscarriage-1

Doctor: Lack of a menstrual period is called amenorrhea. When this occurs in someone who has never had a period it is called pri mary amenorrhea. In cases like yours, where there has been some cycles in the past, it can be called secondary amenorrhea.The most common cause of secondary amenorrhea is pregnancy.Best way to know if you are pregnant or not is to do a home pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in a woman’s urine.Although most home urine based tests are pretty much the same, it is important to follow manufacturers’ instructions.If you test positive, the fever and cramps could mean a lot of things other than miscarriage and it would be sensible to contact an obstetrician immediately.If you test negative, the causes of the secondary amenorrhea could be anything from polycystic ovaries to thyroid dysfunctions. To know the exact reason for the absent menses you will have to consult a gynecologist for an evaluation. The doctor will examine you and will probably advice certain hormonal evaluations, ultrasound examinations that shall help him/her make a diagnosis. Only after a proper evaluation can the further line of management be suggested. The options available depending on the cause are hormone therapy, birth control pills, thyroxine replacement, weight regulations etc.