Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is this a urinary tract infection or something more serious?

Is this a urinary tract infection or something more serious?

Patient: Whenever im not on my period i always feel like i have to urinate but nothing ever comes out and when some does it hurts . It also hurts when im doing anything like sitting or standing. What could this be? Its a ongoing thing.

Symptoms: Headache, pain while urinating, pain in vagina area

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the question.The classical symptom of painful urination and urgency indicates that you may have a urinary tract infection which can be ruled out by a urine culture . It is possible that you may be diagnosed with cystitis and have to be treated with antibiotics for 7-14 days.please visit your physician for an evaluation.I hope i have answered your query.regards