Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is this a Yeast infection or something else?

Is this a Yeast infection or something else?

Patient: A few weeks ago I began to experience some itching and irritation around my vulva, I’m concerned and wondering if it’s a yeast infection or something else

Symptoms: Itching, redness, irritation around the vulva, vaginal discharge, rash from itching the area

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Yeast infection of the vagina can present with curdy white discharge with itching and irr itation in the vagina.However, diagnosis must be confirmed by a vaginal examination, a vaginal swab for culture and then treat you accordingly. You may need vaginal pessaries or oral tablets for a week, maintain sanitary hygiene and avoid unprotected intercourse till complete cure.Hope this helped.Regards,