Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is this an attack? Asthma or bronchitis?

Is this an attack? Asthma or bronchitis?

Patient: I have asthma and I think I have bronchitis, my college health center gave me benzonatate which didn’t help very much but the combination of rest and my inhaler did seem to help. I ran out of the medication today and was feeling great yesterday but as I was getting dressed just now, I began a whistling wheezing whenever I breathe through my mouth. I have taken my steroid and regular inhaler as well as a cough suppressant earlier. My chest also feels tight but I can currently talk. My roommate is concerned that this is the beginning of an asthma attack, should I be going to see a doctor right now?

Symptoms: Wheezing, coughing, sore throat, drippy nose

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Yes, we do recommend that you go to your doctor or urgent care center immediately. You may be developing an Asthma attack to which you do not have adequate medications to treat it. Please seek medical attention immediately. Failure to do so can lead to life threatening blockage of your airways and cessation of your breathing.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com