Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is this anti-biotic safe?

Is this anti-biotic safe?

Patient: Hi, I recently found out I was pregnant ( I am roughly 5 weeks). I have been having REALLY bad sinus pressure/mucus (cant breath through my nose). Last night my throat really started to hurt and I could barely swallow. I woke up this morning and my chest hurt so bad when I coughed/VERY bad burning sensation. I went to the walkin clinic today and he tested for strep (it came back negative). He gave me teva-amoxicillin to take (3 times a day – every 8 hours). It says on the website to STOP taking this medication if you are pregnant or to contact your doctor immediately if you find out you are while you are taking this. I am confused because my doctor said it was safe?? Is it?

Symptoms: Coughing, burning sensation in chest, stuffed nose

Doctor: Hello,If you are 5 weeks pregnant , then ideally you should not take any antibiotics as far as possible but in your c ase the infection is severe and hence considering the benefits of the pregnancy safe medication amoxycillin over risks of treatment , it is a right decision to place you on amoxycillin for at least 5 days.Amoxycillin has a safe profile and not known to cause any congenital anomalies in the developing fetus during the early first trimester, so on a case to case basis, a decision to start on antibiotics is justified and deemed safe for your pregnancy as well.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards