Is this normal for a Urinary tract infection or could it be a kidney infection, Am I on the right medication for this

Patient

Q: Last week I was told I have a UTI, started on antibiotics trimethoprim for 7 days, after a few days symptoms were not better so my Dr changed to Nitrofurantoin. ive been taking these for 3 days, I still have a dull achy back, and occasional sharper pains. Could it be a kidney infection, i have no fever ect just the problems with pain in my back. Does nitrofurantoin work on kidney infections?

Symptoms:  Achy pain in my back, occasionally sharper pains,
Doctor