Is this normal with Birth Control?

Patient

Q: I got on birth control on September 16, I missed one pill but took it immediatley the next morning. I lost track of where I was sometime in December so i started a whole new pack. My last period was on October 12. I have had spotting, really heavy bleeding that lasted like a day and mild to severe cramps. Also, I've been having very bad mood swings since I started. The pill I am taking is Brevicon. I just want to make sure everything is okay.

Symptoms:  Symptoms: nausea, headache, cramps, spotting, days of heavy bleeding, breast tenderness and swelling and mood swings
Doctor

A:   Hi,
As you stopped pills in the middle of the month and restated after few days, complete protection cannot be expected.
To rule out pregnancy better to go for urine pregnancy test once.
If test gives negative result, the symptoms you are having could be side effects of pills.
You can take symptomatic treatment with analgesics which can give relief from headache, breast tenderness etc.
Taking pills as per the schedule can avoid irregular withdrawal bleeding most of the times.
Take care