Is this shingles?

Patient

Q: A small rash appeared on the left side of my chest about 9 days ago, about an inch and a half all around. It was very bumpy at first, looked like bug bites, but, after checking my bed thoroughly, I couldn't find any evidence of bed bugs or any other insects. No one else in the house got a rash. The rash got very red after a few days, then it seemed to dry up (scab?), and now it seems to be slowly going away. It's more painful than itchy, but not unbearable. When it does itch, it feels like small needles poking at my skin. I've been applying antibiotic ointment to it whenever it's overly irritated.
I was feeling under the weather for a few weeks prior to the rash appearing, but that might be due to a lack of sleep since I've had a few bouts of insomnia. I don't know if this could be related, but I also had a rather nasty indigestion a few days before I noticed the rash.
Someone close to me mentioned that this could be shingles, but after reading what symptoms shingles is supposed to bring on I figured I should be sicker. But if it is shingles, should I consult, or just let it run its course as it seems to be going away?

Doctor