Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is this the common cold or do i have something horrible?

Is this the common cold or do i have something horrible?

Patient: I have a runny nose and a cough and when i cough i cough up green slimy balls of stuff and i’m losing my voice but i don’t have a temp.. i’ve tried nyquil it doesn’t work.. is there something else i can try? or is it just a cold?

Doctor: Most cases of common cold are caused by viral infection and present with mild cough and cold symptoms. In your case your symptoms of greenish colored phlegm suggest of an underlying bacterial infection.You will need to be seen by your health care provider and prescribed appropriate antibiotics. I hope you find the information useful, I wish you well.